Comprehensive guide to lightning roulette
Roulette is one of those casino games that never grows old. It’s been around for centuries and seems comparatively tame, but it keeps growing in popularity and variations. Lightning roulette is one of the more recent variations, and it’s catching on fast among American gamblers,
The easiest way to think about this variation is as the original game, but with even bigger payouts and more fun.
Lightning roulette basics
If you already know how to play European roulette, you will have an easy time learning how to play it, but you can expect to have more chances to win and a little more buzz around the table than in a regular roulette game.
The main difference between lightning roulette and European (or regular roulette) is that before each spin of the wheel, five lucky numbers appear, and they are struck with multipliers of anything from 50x to 500x.
Everything else continues as a normal game would, except that if the player lands on one of the five numbers, they can expect to win their bet multiplied by the multiplier that was attached to it.
Gamblers may wonder why they should bother with traditional roulette if there is a version that offers them a chance to multiply their wins by so much.
Lightning roulette is indeed a more attractive proposition, especially to those who like to take big risks, but there are important things to keep in mind if you decide to play it.
The first is that this isn’t a game for those who like to play using systems. If you enjoy playing roulette using the Martingale or Fibonacci strategy, this is not the game for you. Most of these strategies rely on placing even-money bets, while lightning roulette works best when gamblers place certain types of bets.
The other thing to keep in mind is that the payouts are lower than in ordinary roulette. For a bet that would pay out at 35:1 in a regular game, lightning roulette pays out at 29:1.
Still, this is no deterrent because the game is plenty of fun, and even if it has a lower RTP it still gives players a chance to win big.
Every gambler should keep in mind that just like with normal roulette (and every other casino game), no strategy guarantees wins. All gambling games are games of luck and probability, and there isn’t much that players can do to change the outcome.
However, having a good understanding of the rules of the game allows them to place smart bets, and they know how to bide their time until the tide turns in their favor.
Lightning numbers and multipliers
The first thing that any player ought to familiarize themselves with is the numbers and multipliers that are applied to this version of roulette.
As mentioned, the game is much like European roulette and is played on a table that has numbers 1-36 as well as a zero slot.
Players wager on a number or range of numbers that they think will win, and the dealer spins the wheel. If the ball lands on the player’s selected number or numbers, they are winners.
Different numbers on the table have different payout rates, and gamblers need to have a good understanding of the table layout before they venture into the game.
Lightning roulette follows this exact format, except that when the dealer spins the wheel he puts out a lever to generate lucky numbers. It randomly selects between one and five lucky numbers and then gives the wheel a spin. The players can see the multipliers before the ball lands.
If the ball should land on any of the selected numbers, the wager on that number is selected by the multiplier, also called a lucky payout. Lucky payouts can be 50x, 100x, 200x, 300x, 400x, and 500x. Needless to say, even with the lower payouts that casinos offer for this version of roulette, it is still a game worth trying.
The other thing to note about this game is the return-to-player rate. It is 97.3%, which is higher than most other casino games. This means that the house only gets to keep 2.7% and the player takes home all the rest. If a gamer wins $100, for example, their take-home is $97.30, which is one of the best RTPs you’ll find for any casino game.
Gameplay and betting options
The first thing the player needs to do is sign up on a casino website that offers the game, like Resorts Casino in New Jersey.
All new players should look out for registration bonuses; most casinos offer them as an incentive, and depending on the size of their initial deposit, the player can get a bonus that makes a difference in their gameplay.
After they are registered, the player navigates to the lightning roulette table and picks the numbers that they want to bet on.
They can place their bets, but they should think carefully about how much they want to wager. The minimum bet for this version of roulette is $0.50, and the maximum is $500.
After all bets are in, the dealer spins the wheel to release the ball. As it spins, the table automatically picks five random numbers and attaches multipliers to them. There is no way for players to know what numbers will be selected in any game as it’s random.
If the ball lands on any of the selected numbers, the player wins what he wagered multiplied by the flashing multiplier. If they land on multiple winning numbers in a single spin, there are additional bonuses that can lead to seriously big wins.
There are different types of wagers that a player can place for lightning roulette, and it is important to understand what they are to maximize the odds of big wins.
For inside bets, the following options are available:
- Straight-up bet: Players can bet on only one number, and the payout is 35:1.
- Split bet: Allows the player to bet horizontally or vertically between two numbers and has a payout of 17:1.
- Street bet: Players can bet on the numbers at the end of any row, and the payout is 11:1.
- Corner bet: Players can place their bets on corners where four numbers intersect, and the payout is 8:1.
- Line bets: Players can bet at the end of two rows at the point of intersection, and the payout is 5:1.
If gamblers choose to place outside bets, they can choose any of the following:
- Column bet: These are the boxes marked one and two at the end of a column, and they pay out at a rate of 2:1.
- Dozen bet. Three spaces on the table are marked 1st 12, 2nd 12, and 3rd 12, and they pay out at a rate of 2:1.
- Red or black bets: Players bet on the ball landing on a red or black pocket, and the payout for this is 1:1.
- Even or odd bets: Players can bet on an even or odd number, and the payout is 1:1.
- High/low bets: Players can place their bets on low numbers (1-18) or high numbers (19-36), and the payout is also 1:1.
This may all sound rather confusing for new players, but there is a general rule of thumb that they can use to place their bets until they get a better understanding of the game.
While inside bets have higher payouts, they cover a smaller spread of numbers and are therefore harder to land on.
Outside bets may pay less, but because they cover a bigger spread of numbers they offer players a bigger chance of winning.
New players are encouraged to place outside bets to begin with. They are likely to win more often, and this encourages them to keep playing.
Strategies for lightning roulette
Like all casino games, Lightning Roulette is a game of chance and doesn’t come with any guarantees. There’s no inside knowledge that gives the player better odds of winning, but it helps to know a few tips and strategies that can elevate their play.
- Bet on as many numbers as possible: Spread your numbers to increase your odds of hitting a multiplier.
- Decide on a budget: Smart gamblers keep to their predetermined budget, or payroll. Continuing beyond your budget to break a losing streak is never a winning strategy.
- Make use of the bonuses: Most casinos offer bonuses, so maximize your bets courtesy of the house as often as possible.
- Understand the rules: New players should take some time and read through the rules and talk to more experienced players to get a feel of what they should or shouldn’t do around the table.
- Don’t rely on luck: If lucky charms worked, the house wouldn’t win nearly as often as it does. All casino games rely on probability, which means there is a chance the player will win and there is a chance they will lose. A good lightning roulette strategy is to learn how to place bets in such a way that a win results in a big payout.
- Single number vs. multiple number bets: Remember that outside bets increase the odds of winning because there are more numbers to bet on. Remember, roulette is a game of numbers and probability, and the wider the spread of numbers the player can bet on, the higher the odds that they will land at least one of them after a few rounds.
Comparing to traditional roulette
Although the basic rules for both games are the same, there are several differences between traditional roulette and lightning roulette.
The first is the RTP; lightning roulette has a higher return to player rate, so players ultimately take home bigger wins. If gamers get a chance to play lightning roulette, they should take it because if they win, they take home lots more money.
The other difference is that lightning roulette is in a gameshow format. There is a croupier, but unlike a traditional game, it has special effects and can accommodate a lot more players.
Gamers can place automatic bets in lightning roulette, but they cannot do this in traditional roulette. They can also set stop-loss limits that stop them if they lose a certain number of times, as well as win-stop limits if they reach a certain level of wins.
New players shouldn’t overthink these differences. They are minor and don’t make much difference in the eventual outcome of their play.
What they ought to focus on is learning how to play traditional roulette because the rules are the same as those of lightning roulette. If they are masters of traditional roulette, they are likely to do well in lightning roulette.
Where to play lightning roulette
Many casinos offer this game, but players should choose carefully; casinos aren’t all the same, and some are more trouble than they’re worth.
Gamers ought to find casinos that have a good reputation and that support their patrons. They should be quick to deposit wins, and they shouldn’t include any hidden fees in player winnings; players should take home what they win at the table.
Resorts Casino comes highly recommended for both traditional roulette and lightning roulette. It is one of the oldest gambling establishments in New Jersey, and it has a great reputation for prompt payouts that players can withdraw in a variety of ways. It’s one of the best places to take your chances on lightning roulette, why not try Lightening roulette or Live lightning roulette.